We are a young couple remodeling our first house...one outdated / ugly thing at a time. This blog documents our remodel projects and ideas.
RSS

11.17.2010

Operation "Remove Metal Mini Blinds"

When we bought our house, we were extremely fortunate to get 1" metal mini blinds....on every single window. We even had them on the side lights next to the front door. Gag! I am thankful that we had some window coverings, but operation "remove metal mini blinds" quickly began.


See those blinds by the door? Not the best option. I want light to filter in; however, I need some privacy and don't want everyone driving by to see inside the house. I really don't want to put blinds back up, don't really want curtains. Hmmm...

Etching? No, too permanent. Stained glass? No, too hard to match to changing decor styles.....but wait, what about clear stained glass??? Is there even such a thing? It's off to the craft store to investigate. And guess what - bingo. cha-ching. yes! I grab 4 bottles and head to the casa.
It is water-based (easy clean up if I mess up...which I usually do), and "simulates the look of cathedral stained glass...".
Sounds great, let's get started. I clean the windows so there won't be any hidden dirt or smudges.  The product comes out of the bottle looking like glue, so it is easy to see where applied. I just go to town on the windows, scribbling in circles and waves - no particular pattern - until I get the window covered.

After it dries, crystal clear, I love it! On to the other windows.


The entire project took 30 minutes, and the only negative side effect is a sore hand from squeezing the bottle. The finished pics were taken at night, so you can't see any light filtering in. But you can see the white mums in the bottom panes of glass on either side...and tell that the clear stained glass does a great job of adding some privacy.

Total project cost: about $15

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I always wondered how you did this. Now I know!!

healthybeth said...

I didn't even know you did that! I thought it was that way when you guys moved in. Great job, Sister!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I like it better than the frosted look.

Anonymous said...

You can also do this with clear caulk....easier to squeeze out and works the same....

Anonymous said...

Please repost photos in daytime... I really love this idea and solution

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, fantastic blog!

Here is my blog ... clash of clans hack tool download

Anonymous said...

Thanks ɑ bunch for sharing this with all off us you really recognize what you're talking approximately!
Bookmarkеd. Kindly also consult with my site =).
We will Һave a link trade contract among us

Cheϲk out my homeρage - Calefacción Solar

Post a Comment