We are a young couple remodeling our first house...one outdated / ugly thing at a time. This blog documents our remodel projects and ideas.
RSS

8.03.2011

Birds Of A Feather

When my friend came over the other day with a box in her hands, I knew she had brought me something great. And it was a surprise...I had no idea she was bringing something! She told me that while going through her grandmother's things, she instantly knew that I would want what was in the box. (The entire time she is telling the story, I have no clue what it is.) So, when I opened it, there were two vintage, ugly metal peacocks inside. She was so right, I instantly fell in love with them!

One was green-ish, and the other was blue-ish. But they were both rusty in a few spots. These twins were too great to pass up. And I knew that a little spray paint would fix them right up.

I grabbed the twins in my hands and walked around the house trying to figure out where to place them. Finally I decided that they both belonged in the sun room. It is the obvious choice since Merlin (the hubby's bird) is stationed in the sun room. I can corral all of the birds into one spot - the sun room.

So I took to the yard to spray paint these peacocks white. I know, plain ol' white again. But I didn't want anything bright because I want the mustache photos to be the main attraction in the sun room.

Drying time is about 10 seconds right now because the 110 degree temps instantly bake the paint dry. The back of the can says to spray under 90 degrees...at this rate, it would be November before I could paint the peacocks. So I broke the rules and painted them anyways. And after they dried, I hung them on the wall with a single nail. And then stepped back to admire my new, free peacocks.


And guess what I found on Pinterest....the same white peacocks! Looks like I am going to have to find some more peacocks so my flock can grow!
Source - Jennifer Bell on Pinterest
Thanks to Tori, my friend that brought me the peacocks. I bet that she is going to want them back now! And thanks to my mom and dad for fueling my spray paint addiction by gifting me with a case of spray paint at Christmas...this was the last can. Good thing my birthday is next month.

8 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

How wonderful to have friends that give you "stuff"...I have friends like that too! You did a great job turning the peacocks into something fabulous!

the cape on the corner said...

who knew! good luck growing your flock...and love the idea of a case of spraypaint as a gift. something to remember, for sure!

Anonymous said...

I agree...love the peacocks but especially love that your mom gave you a case of spraypaint as a gift. Reminds me of the time I gave my college aged sister a box of shampoo and conditioner.

Spraypaint...I love it!

Sommer said...

Omigosh those are really neat! I love them in white too! How exciting now you have a new treasure to hunt for =) I hope you will come share this at my VIP party today. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/vip-party-22.html

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Ooooo. I see birds like this all the time at flea markets and garage sales! I am peacock obsessed but don't often find current decor I can use in my home. Your birds are awesome! I would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at HomeSavvyAtoZ.com on Monday! I am a new follower!

Michelle said...

These came out great. Good luck haviing your flock grow......a case of spray paint, really.

:) Michelle

Tanya Anurag said...

The peacocks look gorgeous.I wish I had friends like yours ;)

I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. Would be glad to see some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

HomeDefined.com said...

Gosh... I had forgot about those.. Mom had two in our living room YEARS ago. They DO look better white and I love the Flock! They bring out and echo the pattern on the curtains! :-)

Debra

Post a Comment