We are a young couple remodeling our first house...one outdated / ugly thing at a time. This blog documents our remodel projects and ideas.
RSS

7.06.2011

Rain = DIY #1 Enemy

I snagged this old stereo cabinet at a garage sale for $3:



And I had grand plans to turn it into a bar or buffet table for the Habitat for Humanity Restore & After fundraiser/auction. A little paint, caulk and TLC would have the cabinet looking super funky for minimal dollars. So I set out on my stereo-cabinet-to-buffet-table adventure and gutted the cabinet.
Baby and Paris helped, of course
Then I added a new board to the inside of the cabinet to cover up the holes from the record player. Cut new doors from plywood and covered them in zebra-print fabric to add some extra jazz.

And finally, it was time to paint. I chose miss-matched teal for the outside and apple green for inside. The cabinet looks extra cute with new colors. But the cuteness was short lived. So short lived that I didn't even get a good picture of it. The cabinet was outside drying and airing out the poly fumes when it rained. No, not rain...poured down buckets of rain. The first time it has rained in a month, and I wasn't home to save the cabinet from the torrential downpour.

Now the cabinet is unsalvagable and definitely not in a condition to be used as a fundraiser piece. One side of it is peeled apart and hanging there by the new paint. This is very bitter-sweet because we needed the rain, but the cabinet is ruined.
 

I haven't thrown the cabinet away yet. I just can't bear to throw it away yet. It is sitting in my driveway, slowly wilting in the summer sun. I am so mad at myself for leaving the cabinet outside. I should have left it in the garage. And now I am back to square-one for a rehab project for the fundraiser. That just means I'll have to work on another fab rehab...what a bummer... (sarcasm)

6 comments:

Anne said...

Hi there! I'm stopping by for the blog hop.

What a bummer! It was turning out really cute :)

Hope you'll stop by www.giveawaycorner.com when you have a minute. We're giving away a $50 PF Changs gift card today!

Anne

Sarah said...

Oh no! I love the colors you chose. And so sad that it was for a fundraiser.

Keep the projects coming, I LOVE your blog!

Kristyn said...

Hello! I am your newest follower from the Blog Hop! Love your site...Hope you can come stop by my page at http://www.ksquaredglamour.org/
Have a wonderful day!!!

Blended said...

Following from Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop...love your blog! Stop by - http://www.blended.typepad.com

Unknown said...

I'm loving your blog! All your projects are awesome and totally "usable." =D Stopped by from the welcome wednesday hop and following you now. Would love a follow back if it tickles your fancy! ;) www.cookinformycaptain.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

hey found ya on the blog hop at victorias voice! would ya follow me gfc back, I am now following you! Thanks so much! Be sure to visit my blog @ http://1caseycolette.blogspot.com . I have a giveaway for a 12pk of Peter Rabbt Organics, PLUS a 6mo free advertising on my blog! :)

Post a Comment